Check out the best spring events in Lexington and Central KY for family fun! Springtime is a great time to get out and enjoy the Bluegrass!
Take time to experience something new or continue family traditions of enjoying great events in the area. Lots of the events listed are FREE or very affordable.
1. Get outdoors! The weather starts to warm and it’s a great time to enjoy places like McConnell Springs, Raven Run, the Kentucky Children’s Garden, and local parks. Enjoy FREE days at the Ky Children’s Garden for Arbor Day and Addie’s Day. *No info for 2023 free days yet
2. Top O the Mornin’ to Ya! The St. Patrick’s Day Festival is a great way to spend the day enjoying live music, dancing, and the Parade! *March 11, 2023
3. Go on a hunt! Easter Events abound and there are hunts, bunnies, and train rides to enjoy all around the Bluegrass.
4. Keeneland. One word. One great day!! A day at the races is a great way to experience what the Bluegrass is famous for! Enjoy Breakfast with the Works as part of the Sunrise Trackside events each Saturday morning, head to the rail to hear the thunderous sound of hooves race past you, relax with a cup of burgoo, and more! Join the Kids Club for FREE and enjoy lots of year round fun!
5. Enjoy a spring time festival. KiteFest in Lexington is held each year at Jacobson Park (*April 29, 2023). Hundreds of kites take to the skies during this free event. Vendors, music, and other activities are also all around the park. Georgetown International Kite and Culture Festival (April 29, 2023) and Kids to Parks Day in Richmond are held in the spring also. MayFest in Gratz Park is held in the beautiful downtown area of Gratz Park (May 13 – 14, 2023). Enjoy performing arts, visual arts, crafts, vendors, and kid friendly activities.
6. Learn more about native Kentucky animals with a visit to Salato Wildlife Education Center. The Center opens each March and offers events, walking paths, and lots of great live animals like buffalo, elk, deer, turkey, wildcats, a bear, and more! *Opens March 14, 2023
7. Enjoy a trip back in time! Head to the birthplace of Lexington, McConnell Springs, for Founders’ Day. Each year the park recreates life as it was in 1775 when Lexington was founded. (May 20, 2023)
8. Stock up on summer clothes! Consignment sale season kicks off in March and runs through April. Grab great deals on clothes, books, shoes, games, and more!
9. Take in a ball game! Spring means the start of baseball season. The University of Kentucky Baseball team plays at Kentucky Proud Park and kids 5 and under get in FREE! The UK Softball team plays at John Cropp Stadium. For both sports adult general admission seats are just $8 and kids ages 6 – 18 are just $5. You can also enjoy the Lexington CounterClocks games. They have offered a FREE Kids Club with lots of perks including free tickets each year so watch for info for the new season!
10. Head to the zoo! Take a day trip to the Louisville or Cincinnati Zoo. It’s not too hot yet and the zoo can be a great spring adventure.