Get out and explore the Lexington and Central KY with free family fun! Check out 50 great FREE fun things to do with kids in the Bluegrass!
1. Enjoy a day at McConnell Springs – The birthplace of Lexington. Head over and enjoy Founders’ Day in May to celebrate life in 1775 when Lexington began.
2. Hike Raven Run. Try a Stargazing event for a unique night out! (Held monthly year round)
3. Catch a Free Friday Flick at Jacobson Park one summer.
4. Take in some live music at Thursday Night Live in downtown Lexington. (April – October)
5. Walk the loop and enjoy the beauty of the Arboretum. The Kentucky Children’s Garden also has special days during the year when admission is free. KU Day in the Garden in April and Addie’s Day in May.
6. Watch the University of Kentucky Football Wildcats get ready for the season at the Blue/White game or Fan Day.
7. Taste your way around a local Farmer’s Market. Click here for tips on a visit with kids.
8. Enjoy Hats off to Kentucky Day at the Kentucky Horse Park
9. Tour the Ale-8-One Bottling Plant in Winchester
10. See how Toyotas are made on a Toyota Factory Tour in Georgetown
11. Go fly a kite at KiteFest at Jacobson Park in Lexington or at the Georgetown International Kite and Cultural Festival (April)
12. Learn about a new culture at the Chinese Moon Festival (January)
13. Watch the Thriller Street Parade (October)
14. Welcome spring at MayFest in Gratz Park in Lexington
15. Cheer on a runner at A Midsummer’s Night’s Run (August) or the Bluegrass 10K (July). Enjoy all the fun along the streets!
16. Take a bike ride and enjoy the Legacy Trail or Bike Lexington with your family
17. Cheer on the Wildcats at a UK Swim and Dive meet. Admission is FREE!
18. Relax with some jazz at Ecton Park or Moonlight Pass (April – August)
19. Enjoy a University of Kentucky gymnastics meet and have fun at Excite Night (January). Free tickets are usually offered via Facebook.
20. Check out a movie or performance at the Farish Theater at the Lexington Central Library
21. Admire the art and crafts at the Woodland Art Fair (August)
22. Listen to a famous author, participate in a cool event, or enjoy story time at a local bookstore. Try Wild Fig or Joseph Beth Booksellers.
23. Sign up for the Lexington Legends Kids Club – Free tickets for Sunday games
24. Enjoy Family Fun Day at the Living Arts and Science Center (May)
25. Treat yourself with fall fun at a local fall festival
26. Meet some new friends at a local parenting group
27. Learn something new at Family Night at the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning
28. Get healthy at the YMCA Healthy Kids Day Event
29. Take the kids out to eat for a Kids Eat Free night
30. Enjoy a parade! St. Patrick’s Day, Fire Prevention (October) or Christmas
31. Tour Old Kentucky Chocolates and see how chocolate covered potato chips are created!
32. Cheer on the University of Kentucky Baseball team with FREE seating in the outfield deck!
33. Check out a free festival like the 4th of July, Festival Latino de Lexington, Winchester Beer Cheese Festival, Pioneer Festival, or St. Patrick’s Day.
34. Visit a local library for one of many great events!
35. Sign up for a Kids Club or Birthday Club to get freebies then head out and enjoy your special day!
36. Visit Explorium on New Year’s Day for FREE admission (Kids get in FREE on MLK, Jr. Day)
37. Kids bowl FREE all summer at local bowling alleys!
38. Go build something with your kids! Enjoy a hands on build at a Home Depot Kids Workshop.
39. Sign up for Summer Reading Programs at local libraries and bookstores to get freebies when you complete the program!