It’s time for Kindergarten enrollment for students entering Fayette Co. Public Schools in the fall of 2020-2021.
Kentucky law requires children between 6 and 18 years old to attend school, and the birthday cutoff for enrolling in kindergarten is age 5 on or before Aug. 1. Also, families may apply for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds who have a special need may also apply for preschool in the Fayette County program.
2020-21 sign-up windows:
- Feb. 4-28 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays (except Presidents Day), or 5 to 7 p.m. Feb. 11 (Note: If schools are closed because of bad weather, then registration is also canceled.)
- April 7-30 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays, or 5 to 7 p.m. April 14
- July 30 through the start of classes on Aug. 12, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays — This final window is for kindergartners and other students new to FCPS. Please call the school first to make sure staff are available.
- Child’s birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity (see below*)
- Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
- Proof of child’s recent preventative health care exam **
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **
- Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable
** You may register without these two documents, but your child may not attend school until they are on file with FCPS.
* A legal copy of the child’s birth certificate or another official document proving the child’s identity and date of birth is required for school registration. Among the acceptable alternatives:
- Adoption records;
- Valid passport or other federal government identification like a Social Security card;
- Military identification or immigration card;
- Valid Kentucky driver’s license or permit;
- Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or
- Statement: “At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment.”
You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.
Health documentation: Exams, immunizations, and forms
Note: The Fayette County Preschool Program has additional requirements; please see the preschool webpage for instructions. Fall packets are available in late April, and applications are accepted year-round. Families may begin the preschool application online.