It’s time for Kindergarten registration for students entering Fayette Co. Public Schools in the fall of 2024-2025. Registration is open now through March 1st, 2024.
There will be additional windows open before the start of school.
Kindergarten: Kentucky law requires youths between 6 and 18 years old to attend school, and the birthday cutoff to enroll in kindergarten is age 5 on or before Aug. 1.
2024-25 sign-up window:
Kindergarten registration for 2024-25 is now open. Don’t wait until the summer crunch. Sign up early!Note: Interpreters will be available at 701 E. Main St. to help multilingual families on April 9, May 9, and June 13.
Preschool: Families may apply for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Please visit our preschool webpage for instructions. Applications for the fall will be processed starting in late April. (Three- and 4-year-olds who have a special need may apply year-round.)
Steps to sign up any K-12 student who is new to Fayette County Public Schools:
- Review the necessary paperwork under Resources below.
- Then, start with online registration.
- Lastly, call your school’s registrar for an appointment to finish the packet in person. Note: If FCPS buildings are closed (e.g. wintry weather), you will have to reschedule.
FCPS enrolls students at the school where they are zoned based on residential address. Once we receive all the required documents, your school will confirm your child’s enrollment.
Note: The application window for out-of-area requests opens after Spring Break.
- Child’s birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity *
- Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **
- Proof of child’s recent preventative healthcare exam **
- Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable
* FCPS must receive a legal copy of the child’s birth certificate or another official document proving the child’s identity and date of birth. The following are acceptable alternatives:
- Adoption records;
- Valid passport or other federal government identification;
- Military identification or immigration card;
- Valid Kentucky driver’s license or permit;
- Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying the student by name and date of birth; or
- Statement: “At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes a written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment.”
You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.
** You may register without these two documents, but your child may not attend school until the immunization certificate is on file with FCPS.
If possible, please complete all medical paperwork before the first day of school. (See “Forms” below.) For instance, our Child Nutrition Department needs to know about any food allergies, and Health Services needs to know if your child has a medical condition or requires special accommodations.