It’s time for Kindergarten enrollment for students entering Fayette Co. Public Schools in the fall of 2019-2020.
Kentucky law requires children between 6 and 18 years old to attend school, and the birthday cutoff for enrolling in kindergarten is age 5 on or before Aug. 1. Also, families may apply for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds who have a special need may also apply for preschool in the Fayette County program.
2019-20 sign-up windows:
Feb. 5-22 and April 9-26 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays — These periods are mainly for incoming kindergarteners; others may sign up starting July 30.
- Evenings: 5 to 7 p.m. Feb. 12 and April 16
July 30 through Aug. 14
To enroll a new, first-time student, families may begin the process online here. A parent or guardian may also go straight to the school their neighborhood is assigned to and fill out a registration packet. To determine your child’s school, which is based on home address, use the SchoolSite Locator tool.
Please bring the following to registration:
- Child’s birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity (see below*)
- Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
- Proof of child’s recent preventative health care exam **
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **
- Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable
** You may register without these two documents, but your child may not attend school until they are on file with FCPS.
* A legal copy of the child’s birth certificate or another official document proving the child’s identity and date of birth is required for school registration. Among the acceptable alternatives:
- Adoption records;
- Valid passport or other federal government identification like a Social Security card;
- Military identification or immigration card;
- Valid Kentucky driver’s license or permit;
- Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or
- Statement: “At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment.”
You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.
Health requirements: Exams, immunizations, and forms
Note: The Fayette County Preschool Program has additional requirements; visit fcps.net/preschool for instructions.