The YMCA of Central Kentucky will kick off the 2018 summer camp season with an open house on Saturday, March 3, 2018 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at all four YMCA of Central Kentucky locations.
This is an excellent opportunity for interested families to take part in camp activities and get all their summer camp questions answered. Register in person or online on this day and we’ll waive the $35 camp registration fee.
“The Y’s one-of-a-kind day camp programs emphasize fun while helping kids close the achievement gap. There is a different theme each week and field trips throughout the summer. It’s a winning formula that gives kids the wrap-around support and mentoring they need to thrive, all summer long,” says Vice President of Youth Development Jessica Berry. “Kids are in a welcoming environment where they belong, they’re building relationships, developing character and discovering their potential.”
Berry says there are five reasons why youth should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit ymcacky.org/camp for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
The YMCA of Central Kentucky served 2,000 kids in summer camps in 2017. Camp families can look forward to a new state-of-the-art 4,000 square-foot outdoor pavilion at the Whitaker Family YMCA at Hamburg Place. Construction on the pavilion is underway and expected to be completed for the upcoming camp season. The new pavilion will feature restrooms, water fountains, picnic tables, storage and coverage for weather. A generous gift from an anonymous donor made this possible for the Y.
Camp is open to children, ages 3 through 12 and will be offered weekly from June 4 through August 6. To ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, financial assistance is available for those who qualify. If you’re interested in helping send kids to camp this summer, you can donate to the Y at www.ymcacky.org/give.
Special thanks to White, Greer & Maggard Orthodontics for their continued support of YMCA summer camps. Through this partnership, all children are afforded the opportunity to experience the magic of summer camp regardless of their financial circumstances.
For more information about YMCA of Central Kentucky summer day camps, visit www.ymcacky.org/camp or visit your nearest Y.